Re: BUG #1800: "unexpected chunk number" during pg_dump

From: "Aaron Harsh" <ajh(at)rentrak(dot)com>
To: <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1800: "unexpected chunk number" during pg_dump
Date: 2005-08-11 01:07:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 06:02:30AM +0100, Aaron Harsh wrote:
> > pg_dump: ERROR: unexpected chunk number 0 (expected 1) for toast value
> Looks very much like the table was corrupted. Maybe you should try to
> test your RAM and disks. Not sure how to do that on x86-64 though,
> unless the test utility at www.memtest86.com has been ported to it.

The server is running off of ECC RAM on a RAID-10 set, so a one-off disk/RAM failure seems unlikely. The server had been running beautifully for 6 months prior to this error, and hasn't been evidencing the problem since, so it seems unlikely that this is due to a bad DIMM or RAID controller.

The timing might be a coincidence, but this error happened within a day of our OID counter wrapping around back to 0. (Although Tom Lane mentioned in pgsql-general that he was inclined to consider the timing a coincidence).

--
Aaron Harsh
ajh(at)rentrak(dot)com