Re: Training and certification

From: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <bret(at)busby(dot)net>, <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Training and certification
Date: 2004-07-09 17:42:52
Lists: pgsql-general

I think the first step is a book called "The Official PostgreSQL Certification Study Guide - Everything You Need to Know to Pass the PostgreSQL Adminsitrator Certification Test (PG-081)" which would be based on the "Official PostgreSQL Certification Syllabus."

All the M$ certifications I have I got by buying a $70 book, reading it, then logging on to a testing center website, paying $115, and driving across town to take the test. I think this is a great model that does not require a big infrastructure of instructors and classrooms, just a book and a contract with Sylvan (or whoever) to administer tests.

Once that is up and running with the book-learning crowd, training companies would get interested in becoming "Authorized" to provide "Official" training, for the classroom learning crowd.

My opinion is, as usual, worth exactly what you paid for it.;^)

Ian

<<< Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> 7/ 9 9:50a >>>
Am Freitag, 9. Juli 2004 08:30 schrieb Bret Busby:
> Thus, recognised, international, industry certification of
> open source application systems development, either involving PostgreSQL
> as a database backend by itself, or, involving PostgreSQL as a factor
> could be useful, apart from having the internationally recognised

I don't even think the often-raised question about who would be entitled to
authorize such a certification program is the hard part. Because, just as
PostgreSQL itself, such a program could come to be recognized more or less by
itself if a lot of people use it. The hard part are the economics of the
whole thing. There is no one who has the capacity to organize such a thing
worldwide. And the whole thing doesn't pay off for the organizer unless you
can scale hugely. If you can solve those questions, I'm all ears. I and the
company I work for does PostgreSQL and other training, so I know what the
economics look like.

> From the web page at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/companies.php , that
> company appears to be a small company in Austria, and the company and
> certification appear to be recognised by PostgreSQL.org .
>
> Is that the only PostgreSQL certification that is recognised? Is it
> recognised internationally?

It's the only certification that managed to get a link on
www.postgresql.org. :-)

joining column's datatypes do not match