BDR and TX obeyance

From: Riley Berton <rberton(at)appnexus(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BDR and TX obeyance
Date: 2016-01-04 20:09:01
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been experimenting with BDR and have a question about how BDR
interacts with transactions.

bdrdemo=# create table thingy (id INT, value TEXT, PRIMARY KEY(id));
CREATE TABLE
bdrdemo=# create table tx_log(id INT, msg TEXT, PRIMARY KEY(id));
CREATE TABLE
bdrdemo=# insert into thingy (id, value) VALUES (1, 'insert from node1');
INSERT 0 1

From node1:

bdrdemo=# begin;
BEGIN
bdrdemo=# update thingy set value='update from node1' where id=1;
UPDATE 1
bdrdemo=# insert into tx_log (id, msg) values (1, 'tx log insert from node1');
INSERT 0 1
bdrdemo=# commit;
COMMIT

Simultaneously from node2:

bdrdemo=# begin;
BEGIN
bdrdemo=# update thingy set value='update from node2' where id=1;
UPDATE 1
bdrdemo=# insert into tx_log (id, msg) values (2, 'tx log insert from node2');
INSERT 0 1
bdrdemo=# commit;
COMMIT

bdrdemo=# select * from tx_log ;
id | msg
----+--------------------------
1 | tx log insert from node1
2 | tx log insert from node2
(2 rows)

bdrdemo=# select * from thingy ;
id | value
----+-------------------
1 | update from node2
(1 row)

The conflict on the "thingy" table has resulted in node2 winning based
on last_update wins default resolution. However, both inserts have
applied. My expectation is that the entire TX applies or does not
apply. This expectation is clearly wrong.

Question is: is there a way (via a custom conflict handler) to have the
TX obeyed? I can't see a way to even implement a simple bank account
database that changes multiple tables in a single transaction without
having the data end up in an inconsistent state. Am I missing something
obvious here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

riley