Re: Server not Starting

From: Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server not Starting
Date: 2010-04-14 07:09:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM, raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi Shoaib,
>
> Tried with pg_resetxlog
>

> [postgres(at)dbarhel564 bin]$ pg_resetxlog /usr/local/pgsql/mypg/
> The database server was not shut down cleanly.
> Resetting the transaction log might cause data to be lost.
> If you want to proceed anyway, use -f to force reset.
> [postgres(at)dbarhel564 bin]$ pg_resetxlog -f /usr/local/pgsql/mypg/
> Transaction log reset
> [postgres(at)dbarhel564 bin]$ pg_ctl start
> server starting
> [postgres(at)dbarhel564 bin]$ LOG: database system was shut down at
> 2010-04-12 12:26:15 IST
> FATAL: could not access status of transaction 889
> DETAIL: Could not read from file "pg_clog/0000" at offset 0: Success.
> LOG: startup process (PID 1335) exited with exit code 1
> LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

In that case, I would go and see if there is a clog file DB server is
complaining for there or not i.e. "pg_clog/0000" and if it is check for
permissions with PG user. Do you by any chance deleted stuff from pg_clog
folder?

If they are not there then create 256k files for each of them filled with
zeros that server complaints for like the we just saw "pg_clog/0000",
remember this way you might be able to start the server but you will lose
the data from the time after your last checkpoint.

--
Shoaib Mir
http://shoaibmir.wordpress.com/