[Pljava-dev] Calling Java from Postgresql Function

From: johann at 2ndquadrant(dot)com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Calling Java from Postgresql Function
Date: 2012-04-12 13:13:10
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi,

John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> writes:

> On 04/10/12 5:26 AM, murthy516 wrote:
>> I'm new to postgresql.Can anyone please suggest me how to write a
>> stored procedure in Postgresql that makes call to Java method.
>>
>> If I make call to Java method,how to set classpath for that
>> Java(.class file) in postgresql.Please suggest me
>
> you need pljava for this.
> http://wiki.tada.se/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> the classpath can be set via the deployer, or via a SQL function call.

A typical process for this is:

* Compile and wrap your java code into a jar file.

* Place the jar somewhere the PostgreSQL server can see it in the
(server's) file system.

* Run SELECT sqlj.install_jar( 'file:///full/path/to/file.jar',
'JarNameInTheDatabase',
false ); -- Unless you include SQL
-- statements in the jar file as
-- per the SQL JRT standard,
-- then it's true.

* Run SELECT sqlj.set_classpath( 'SchemaName',
'JarNameInTheDatabase' );

Now you can call the functions in the schema "SchemaName", which is
usually "public".

--
Johann Oskarsson http://www.2ndquadrant.com/ |[]
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services --+--

Blog: http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/