Re: Postgres performance

From: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, mauro <bertolima(at)yahoo(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres performance
Date: 2005-03-02 21:45:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

> The reason PostgreSQL is slower is because it (and by extension the team
> behind it) cares about your data.

Sure, postgres is (a bit but not much) slower for a simple query like
SELECT * FROM one table WHERE id=some number, and postgres is a lot slower
for UPDATES (although I heard that it's faster than MySQL InnoDB)... but
try a query with a join on few tables, even a simple one, and postgres
will outperform mysql, sometimes by 2x, sometimes 1000 times. I had a case
with a join between 4 tables, two of them having 50k records ; I was only
pulling 6 records... mysql spent half a second and postgres 0.5 ms... hell
!