Problem connecting to psql

From: Richard Nairn <Richard(at)nairnconsulting(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem connecting to psql
Date: 2003-12-11 16:00:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to connect remotely to my database and I am getting an error:

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "."
Welcome to psql 7.3.2 ...

I can run queries, but I can't use some of the built in functions such as
\d \l.

My backend is 7.2. Is this a problem? I am planning on upgrading to 7.4.

Thanks for your help