Re: getting details about integrity constraint violation

From: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Markus Bertheau" <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>
Cc: 'PostgreSQL' <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: getting details about integrity constraint violation
Date: 2005-06-03 18:42:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

> The "error fields" facility in the FE/BE protocol could be extended
> in that direction, and I think there's already been some discussion
> about it; but no one has stepped up with a concrete proposal, much
> less volunteered to do the work ...

Um, if changing the protocol is a bother, you could also add parseable
infos to the error messages...

instead of :
"ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "testinteg_one_key""

it would say
"ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "testinteg_one_key"
[code:"XXXX" error:"integrity" type:"unique" column:"something"
constraint:"testinteg_one_key"]"

Which could be hackfully added by a "parseable" locale (but with a more
restrained form...)
SET lc_messages TO parseable