Re: Unable to connect to 9.5 via JDBC driver 1207

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to connect to 9.5 via JDBC driver 1207
Date: 2016-02-02 20:10:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Tom Lane schrieb am 02.02.2016 um 20:38:
>>> As I said: by simply switching to the previous driver, everything was fine.
>>> It works fine with JDBC connections to localhost, but not to a remote
>>> server (psql was fine)
>>> I had also one user of SQL Workbench/J who reported the same problem and
>>> after switching to 1206 the problem went away for him as well.
>
>> Well clearly we would like to get to the root of this problem. Is it
>> possible for you to provide us with more information?
>
> Since the quoted error message mentions a connection from "127.0.0.1",
> it's impossible that it is a reply from a remote server (unless your
> networking configuration is completely broken). Presumably what is
> happening is that what you think is a connection to a remote PG server
> is actually being made to localhost, and the local PG server's pg_hba.conf
> doesn't allow the username and/or dbname. You could check that by turning
> on log_connections on both servers.
>
> As to why that would happen as a consequence of a driver version change,
> I'm pretty clueless, but I would wonder about differences in driver config
> files or the driver's interpretation of a connection URL. In any case,
> certainly not enough information has been given to diagnose it.

The initial error message in this thread was not from me.

I am currently not in the office, but I will see if I can reproduce that tomorrow.

I have also contacted the SQL Workbench/J user who reported this to me last week
and asked him to describe his setup as well.

In his case, the error message was:

> FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "213.xxx.xx.xxx", user "foobar", database "postgres", SSL on

If I understood him correctly, he has no access to the server, so the only thing he did,
was to change the driver and he could connect again.

Thomas