Re: Allowing postgresql to accept 0xff syntax for data types that it makes sense for?

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing postgresql to accept 0xff syntax for data types that it makes sense for?
Date: 2015-05-23 12:01:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote on 21.05.2015 19:57:
> One large concern about doing anything like this is whether future
> versions of the SQL standard might blindside us with some
> not-terribly-compatible interpretation of that syntax. If we do something
> that is also in Oracle or DB2 or one of the other big boys, then we can
> probably rely on the assumption that they'll block anything really
> incompatible from becoming standardized ;-).

The SQL standard already specifies the format for "binary strings":

<binary string literal> ::=

<hexit> ::=
<digit> | A | B | C | D | E | F | a | b | c | d | e | f

The data type for such a literal is somewhat "undefined":

It is implementation-defined whether the declared type of a <binary string literal>
is a fixed-length binary string type, a variable-length binary string type,
or a binary large object string type

But the above syntax seems to be only supported by H2, HSQLDB and Apache Derby.