Re: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?

From: Pavel(dot)Janik(at)linux(dot)cz (Pavel Janík ml(dot))
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?
Date: 2000-07-12 22:35:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

[This is a multi-reply, CCs and -general removed.]

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:58:50 +0100

Hi,

> Why not have it using something like tar, and the first file being
> stored in ascii?

some filesystems do not allow you to have files bigger then 2G :-( I do not
think that one file (even gzipped tar file) is good.

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:32:10 +0100

> I don't know why you would want them as separate files - just think what
> would happen to directory search times!!

No problem, you can use one index file and hashes in it so files are then
stored as:

AA/AA/AA/00
AA/AA/AA/01

See how squid (http://www.squid-proxy.org/) does his job here. No problem,
I think. I really prefer this solution over one big file. You can easily
swap files with other databases, you can even create md5sum of md5sums of
each file so you can have a multi-md5sum of your database (you can be
really sure that your backup is OK, etc. :-).

> That way (depending on the database design), you could handle the sql
> & blobs separately but still have everything backed up.
>
> PS: Backups is formost on my mind at the moment - had an NT one blow
> up in my face on Monday and it wasn't nice :-(

No one (I hope) is arguing about the need for backing BLOBs from the DB :-)
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel(dot)Janik(at)linux(dot)cz