Re: General question about DBI/DBD

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: General question about DBI/DBD
Date: 2001-11-09 16:42:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com> writes:

[converting Pg.pm to DBD::Pg]

> Also, the big program does a whole bunch of
> $conn->exec("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE indexed_column = '$key'");
> and things like that. Is there a way in DBD:Pg I can re-parse those
> queries with "...indexed_column = :1" and then supply a different key each
> time? I remember when I used to write C programs that accessed Oracle
> (about 8 years ago, so the details are hazy), that was a major performance
> improvement.

You can basically do:

$stmt = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE indexed_column = ?");

$stmt->execute($key1);
$stmt->execute($key2);

This is nice because it will do any escaping in $key that needs to be
done.

However, PG doesn't cache query plans in this situation (unlike
Oracle) so you won't see a big performance win.

(Apologies if my syntax is off; I mostly use Java now.)

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863