Re: Getting Network Statistics

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: REMOVE-THISjeffhl(at)pacbell(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting Network Statistics
Date: 2003-03-22 17:42:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Lilienstein <REMOVE-THISjeffhl(at)pacbell(dot)net> writes:

> I still need to find the number of bytes transmitted to the client.
> Oracle provides a "virtual" table, V$SESSTAT that provides that
> information, but I have no idea how to get that information from
> Postgres, or if that is not possible, from the operating system.

There are a couple of possibilities here:

1) Patch Postgres so it tracks bytes sent over a connection socket,
(it definitely doesn't do this now) and writes out the total to a
logfile when the connection is closed. This might not be too hard,
depending on the modularity of the code.

2) Figure out a way to get per-socket statistics from your OS.

-Doug