Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9
Date: 2003-11-12 21:22:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

In the last exciting episode, andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:52:26PM -0700, scott.marlowe wrote:
>>
>> I thought .org and .info were being run on postgresql/solaris?
>
> They are. I'd happily dump the Solaris use overboard, however, if it
> weren't for all the nifty hardware support it give us. It is
> dog-slow for handling large numbers of processes. We get around that
> by throwing hardware at the problem.

One might choose to use Solaris for a number of reasons _other_ than
it being the fastest platform for PostgreSQL:

- If some applications are written in Java, Sun might be chosen as
the hardware vendor because "Java works there best."

- If you're buying hardware in bulk, it may be a better deal to have
to throw extra money at the DB server if you saved money on the
other boxes.

- Local familiarity might be worth something; better the devil you
know than ones you don't.

- Reprovisioned hardware from another project is cheaper than starting
afresh.

I wouldn't warrant that any of those are necessarily applicable in
this particular case, but "which platform runs PG fastest" could
readily get pushed lower on the list by these sorts of factors...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html