Re: pg_autovacuum and VACUUM FREEZE

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum and VACUUM FREEZE
Date: 2003-10-16 11:40:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au (Christopher Kings-Lynne) transmitted:
> Was just wondering if pg_autovacuum watches transaction ids and issues
> a vacuum freeze before they roll over?
>
> If not, is it hard to do?

It doesn't do a VACUUM FREEZE; it just does a VACUUM. VACUUM FREEZE
isn't forcibly necessary, although it would be an interesting idea to
do so.

/*
* FIXME: should probably do something better here so that we don't
* vacuum all the databases on the server at the same time. We have
* 500million xacts to work with so we should be able to spread the
* load of full database vacuums a bit
*/
if (dbi->age > 1500000000 )
{
PGresult *res = NULL;

res = send_query("VACUUM", dbi);
/* FIXME: Perhaps should add a check for PQ_COMMAND_OK */
PQclear(res);
return 1;
}
--