Re: My only post with regard to query caching

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: My only post with regard to query caching
Date: 2002-03-18 18:17:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com> writes:

> MySQL is doing some things right. They are providing useful
> documentation. They are adding features that target the web market
> (they may be adding them incorrectly, however). If we expect
> PostgreSQL to beat MySQL in anything but "My database is
> transactionally secure" and "We have a GECO optimizer" pissing wars,
> we'll need to start becoming a little more competitive in the raw
> speed arena. I feel that this optimization, while it may not be
> trivial, is fairly low-hanging fruit that can help. I may even try
> to implement it, but I make no guarantees.

Looks like the onus is on you and mlw to come up with a design for the
query cache mechanism, based on knowledge of PG internals, that
intelligently addresses ACID and MVCC issues, and propose it. I think
the core developers would certainly be willing to look at such a
design proposal. Then, if they like it, you get to implement it. ;)

In other words, and I say this in the nicest possible way, talk is
cheap.

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught Wireboard Industries http://www.wireboard.com/

Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...