Re: Reference pg_user ?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Carsten Zerbst <carsten(dot)zerbst(at)atlantec-es(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reference pg_user ?
Date: 2002-03-19 15:53:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Carsten Zerbst <carsten(dot)zerbst(at)atlantec-es(dot)com> writes:

> But I need some additional information like name, email-addres and the
> like, so i tried to use something like:
>
> test=# create table users (
> test(# shortname name references pg_user,
> test(# lastname varchar not null,
> test(# email varchar not null
> test(# );
> NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> check(s)
> ERROR: Referenced relation "pg_user" is not a table
> NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> check(s)
> ERROR: Referenced relation "pg_user" is not a table
>
> Is it somehow possible to reference the system catalog with
> the users ?

pg_user is a view, not a table. The actual table is pg_shadow, which
is not (and shouldn't be) readable by non-superusers, so you may run
into problems there.

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught Wireboard Industries http://www.wireboard.com/

Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...