Re: ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 15880, max size 8140

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: elwood(at)agouros(dot)de (Konstantinos Agouros)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 15880, max size 8140
Date: 2001-09-23 15:41:13
Lists: pgsql-general

elwood(at)agouros(dot)de (Konstantinos Agouros) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a table with just one column of type varchar which gives me from time
> to time (I guess when data is bigger then 8140 bytes) this message.
> select version() says:
> PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66
> Besides Upgrading to 7.1 somebody has an idea about this?

PG 7.0 and earlier has a hard-coded limit on row size. You can
increase the limit and recompile, but that requires you to dump all
your databases, initdb, and reload. So you might as well upgrade...

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm. -Dylan