security issues

From: Andreas Muck <andi(at)koala(dot)rhein-neckar(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: security issues
Date: 1998-07-23 16:38:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello

seems like my mail to pgsql-novice is being ignored so I'll try here.

How can I let local users connect with their own ID locally without
having to enter a password, but disallow them to reconnect - with
\connect - as another user - either completely or allow it only using
a password.

Right now everybody connected localy can use "\connect database
postgres" and become the postgres super-user (or any other user).

Second question: how can I prevent users from creating tables in other
databases beside their own (or a set of specified databases). Something
like `grant create table on database to somebody'.

Using PostreSQL 6.3.2 on Linux.

tia,
Andi

PS: A pointer to the documentation is also welcome, I couldn't find it
anywhere.