Re: How to determine which are "idle in transaction"

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Mike Bridge <mike(at)bridgecanada(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to determine which are "idle in transaction"
Date: 2002-01-18 20:09:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Mike Bridge <mike(at)bridgecanada(dot)com> writes:

> When I do a "ps ax" I have 7 processes originating from my application
> that are permamently "idle in transaction". First off, is this
> something to be concerned about?

Yes, it can block VACUUM.

> It appears to be a vendor library
> that's causing it. Second, how can I tell what these stuck transactions
> are? Is there a way to list them?

I don't think so, other than turning up logging to the point that SQL
queries are logged, and watching for activity from those clients.
They may be just issuing a BEGIN and then sitting there, which doesn't
cause any problems with other databases...

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863