Re: Problem Starting Postgresql after upgrade from SuSE8.1 to SuSE 8.2

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: pawlicki(at)mailandnews(dot)com (John Pawlicki)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem Starting Postgresql after upgrade from SuSE8.1 to SuSE 8.2
Date: 2003-05-16 17:51:41
Lists: pgsql-general

pawlicki(at)mailandnews(dot)com (John Pawlicki) writes:

> I upgrade to SuSE 8.2 and it upgraded Postgresql from 7.2 to 7.3.2. I
> use a script file to start Postgresql, this is the contents.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/share/pgsql/data
>

> And now this is what I get:
>
> john(at)linux:~> ./sql
> FATAL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.2,
> which is not compatible with this version 7.3.2.
> john(at)linux:~>
>
> My question is, "What to do now to get access to my postgresql data
> files? I can correct this?"

Best thing to do is download the latest 7.2 version (7.2.3?), compile
and install it in a separate location. Start it up with PGDATA set
to you /usr/share/pgsql/data and use pg_dump to dump out your
databases. You can then 'initdb' your data area and start up 7.3,
then restore your databases.

Make sure to save off a copy of $PGDATA before you run 'initdb'...

-Doug