Re: connecting to server process via sockets

From: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Randall Smith <randall(at)tnr(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connecting to server process via sockets
Date: 2005-05-16 15:35:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Randall Smith <randall(at)tnr(dot)cc> writes:

> For fun and learning, I would like to connect to the Postgresql
> backend and issue queries using sockets. I'm using Python's socket
> module. I'm new to socket programming, but I'm experienced with
> Python and Postgresql. I've been using the JDBC driver and the online
> documentation as a guide, but I'm afraid my ignorance has led me to
> failure thus far.

[...]

No direct help, but a couple of suggestions:

1) Take a look at pg-dot-lisp, which does the same thing you are
trying to do, but in Lisp. You might find it more readable than
the JDBC driver. I am not sure which protocol versions it
supports, though. It's at:

http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/

2) Write a simple libpq app (or use one of the existing Python
interfaces linked against libpq) and watch the session with
Etherial or tcpdump. That'll show you the differences between your
failing app and a working connection...

-Doug