Re: Backup Compatibility between minor versions.

From: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Howard Cole <howardnews(at)selestial(dot)com>
Cc: "'PgSql General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup Compatibility between minor versions.
Date: 2005-06-08 13:58:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Howard Cole <howardnews(at)selestial(dot)com> writes:

> To improve compatibility, I created a backup on the linux system
> (8.0.1) using plain format, data only with triggers disabled. However,
> when I try to restore the plain sql on the windows machine (8.0.3) it
> fails because the first insert command fails a foreign key
> constraint. Can I disable foreign key checks for the duration of the
> restore?

I would suggest upgrading to 8.0.3 on the linux machine, just to make
sure you get all pg_dump bugfixes, then retrying the dump/restore.
AFAIK there's no reason it shouldn't work. If you still have trouble,
post the exact dump and restore commands you're using and the exact
error message you get.

-Doug