Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-30 10:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The OPs people are the ones that will be upset with this because the DBAs
> will be modifying configs which OPs rightfully claim as theirs.

If that's the problem you want to solve, there's no technical solution
that will put you at ease. That's a people and trust problem.

I don't think typical (or less typical) organisation should drive our
technical choices too much, and I'm pretty confident they didn't in the
past: pg_hba.conf is a file not because it's meant for this or that team
but because it makes sense technically to manage the settings to allow
using some resources *outside* of said resources.

We currently have no way that I know of to disable ALTER ROLE SET and
ALTER DATABASE SET effects, why do we need to provide that feature for
ALTER SYSTEM SET so much?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine