Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL in Debian <pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date: 2013-02-19 10:02:34
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian pgsql-www

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> We should be doing everything we can to make it easy for new users,
> whatever their background or experience level, to use PostgreSQL as
> they wish.

I totally agree with that.

And the simplest we could do while being technically correct for
PostgreSQL major versionning support, extensions building, debian
integration, upgrade paths, automated package building, QA and automated
testing is what you know as apt.postgresql.org.

When you compare what we have now there to any other offering, please
remember to include an upgrade paths discussion.

It took years to build and we're far from done still. As Stefan best
said it in this thread, one step at a time.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine