Re: Making the DB secure

From: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Együd Csaba <csegyud(at)vnet(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making the DB secure
Date: 2005-06-17 14:19:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Együd Csaba <csegyud(at)vnet(dot)hu> writes:

> Hi,
> we plan to make available our database from the internet (direct tcp/ip
> based connections). We want to make it as secure as possible. There are a
> few users who could access the database, but we want to block any other
> users to access.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it this way unless I had no alternative. I'd
build a middle-tier application layer that takes requests from the
clients (via raw sockets, XML-RPC or whatever) and then translates
those calls into SQL queries. It just gives you a lot more control
over what queries hit your system.

-Doug