Re: [HACKERS] Deferred trigger queue

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Deferred trigger queue
Date: 2000-02-08 19:45:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > looking at all the complications about dealing with segmented
> > files etc., I wonder if it's really worth the efford to add
> > file buffering to the trigger queue.
>
> You shouldn't be thinking about that. Use a BufFile (see
> src/include/storage/buffile.h), and you have temp file creation,
> file segmentation and auto cleanup at xact abort with no more work
> than fopen/fwrite would be. See nodeHash.c/nodeHashjoin.c for an
> example of use.

You already pointed me to that long ago. Surely, something
the like would be what to use in this case.

> However, if you think that there are other tasks that are higher
> priority than this one, I won't argue.

It's not that I totally want to forget about it. It's just
that I think with 7 days left until BETA I better start on
stressing the code and providing some docs instead of taking
care for possible abuse.

There are details that MUST be documented IMHO. For example
FOREIGN KEY needs that there is a UNIQUE constraint defined
on the set of referenced columns. Actually this requirement
is not checked in any way, so it MUST be mentioned in the
docs.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #