Re: [HACKERS] FOREIGN KEY !!!!!

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] FOREIGN KEY !!!!!
Date: 2000-02-05 20:30:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> o Under RESTRICT, by contrast, the system realizes "ahead of
> time" that row R2 exists and will violate the constraint if
> R1 is deleted, and so rejects the DELETE out of hand.

That'd mean in last consequence, that RESTRICT actions aren't
DEFERRABLE, while the rest of their constraint definition is!
Anyway, cannot work with the actual implementation of the
trigger queue, so we could either make RESTRICT and NO ACTION
identical (except for different ERROR messages), or leave the
SQL3 RESTRICT out of 7.0 while changing NO ACTION to fire the
message.

I'd prefer to have them identical in 7.0, because according
to Date they have no semantic difference, so it'll buy us
little if we complicate the trigger stuff more than required
right now.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #