Re: [SQL] Oracle sql queries

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: russ(at)psyex(dot)com (Russ McBride)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Oracle sql queries
Date: 1999-12-29 00:46:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Will any legal Oracle sql syntax work in postgresql? I'm worried about
> whether tcl scripts that make sql calls to an Oracle db can be used in a
> postgresql without problems. I guess that brings up two issues:
>
> 1- Is the version of sql that Oracle uses legal in postgres?

Pardon, but...

is the Oracle SQL dialect legal at all? They claim to be
compliant (to whatever), but after reading the SQL3 specs I
think these Oracle folks have the same (wrong) understanding
of the words LEGAL and STANDARD as the M$ folks have. Is it
allways that people, who think they are a market leader,
think they can make STANDARD whatever their programmers hack
into?

Legal is what the standard defines. The standards are SQL92
and SQL3. And AFAIK, Oracle is close to them, but NOT 100%
compliant.

Also, SQL92 and SQL3 specs contain many details, where the
words "implementation defined" appear. So there is no real
standard at all.

To answer ur question: No, not ANY Oracle syntax will execute
the same in PostgreSQL. Especially things like DB schema,
stored procedures, functions and triggers will cause porting
efford. PostgreSQL is somewhat SQL92 compliant, a little bit
SQL3 compliant, and somewhere proprietary (as all SQL DB's
are today). But it's definitely NOT a plug'n'play replacement
for any commercial database.

Decide on ur own, if you wanna spend the next license fee
into some porting efford and give it a try. If you fail, it's
a limited risk, if you succeed, run free of charge until
infinity.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #