Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd
Date: 1999-12-13 06:34:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It is a trigger function for pg_shadow updates, see PATCHES message
> from a day or two back.
>
> > I wonder if it is properly defined. Shouldn't it return at
> > least a valid type to be callable via SQL?
>
> opr_sanity is complaining because the declared return type is 0.
> I am not very happy about taking out opr_sanity's check on return types;
> perhaps I should lobby to have Opaque-valued trigger functions be
> declared with an actually valid return-type OID. What do you think?

Trigger functions should allways return at least a NULL
pointer of type HeapTuple, not be declared void. From this I
assume it's an AFTER ROW trigger,

There are already some exceptions coded into the test. These
are PL handlers. Since their real return value is HeapTuple,
you would have to make this defined special type not
selectable in another way. So why do you want?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #