Re: [HACKERS] LONG

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, wieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LONG
Date: 1999-12-12 21:54:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I disagree. By moving to another table, we don't have non-standard
> tuples in the main table. We can create normal tuples in the long*
> table, of identical format, and access them just like normal tuples.
> Having special long tuples in the main table that don't follow the
> format of the other tuples it a certain mess. The long* tables also
> move the long data out of the main table so it is not accessed in
> sequential scans. Why keep them in the main table?

More ugly and complicated (especially for VACUUM) seems to
me, the we need an index on these nonstandard tuples, that
doesn't see the standard ones, while the regular indices
ignore the new long tuples. At least if we want to delay
reading of long values until they're explicitly requested.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #