Re: [SQL] Dilema.

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: wieck(at)debis(dot)com
Cc: mitch(at)venux(dot)net, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Dilema.
Date: 1999-12-11 00:29:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

I wrote:

> Look at this:
>
> pgsql=> select key, length(content) from bttest;
> key | length
> -----+--------
> 1 | 3
> 2 | 9
> (3 rows)

Rereading my own comment, I just realized that it would be
possible to add a real BIG text type with a slightly
different technique. This would require another (not
syscached) pg_ relation plus support in heap access and some
other parts. And it would be a DEFINITELY NOT indexable
type. Also it would be subject to get removed someday after
we implemented large tuples.

But it would drop the pressure from the large tuple item
close to zero IMHO. So if I can implement it in a way, that
ensures it is easily removable again, why not?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #