Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: hannu(at)tm(dot)ee (Hannu Krosing)
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz, t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields
Date: 1999-11-13 02:25:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ech - wrong key :-)

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >

> The next step would be tweaking the costs for sequential scans vs.
> index scans.
>
> I guess that the indexes would stay uncompressed ?

I'm sure about this. On a database of significant size,
anyone indexing a field with a possible size over 100 bytes
is doing something wrong (and only idiots go above 500
bytes). They are IMPLEMENTING a not well thought out database
DESIGN. A database engine should support indices on bigger
fields, but it's still a bad schema and thus idiotic.

Currently, we don't check the size of indexed fields. And the
only problems I've seen with it where some reports that huge
PL functions could not be created because there was an unused
(idiotic) index on the prosrc attribute and they exceeded the
4K limit for index tuples. I've removed this index already in
the v7.0 tree. The ?bug? in the btree code, failing to split
a page if the key values exceed 4K, is still there. But I
don't think anyone really cares for it.

Thus, I assume there aren't many idiots out there. And I
don't expect that anyone would ever create an index on a
compressed data type.

?bug? -> The difference between a bug and a feature is
DOCUMENTATION. Thomas, would you please add this limit on
index tuples to the doc's so we have a new FEATURE to tell in
the v7.0 announcement?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #