Re: RI and PARSER (was: Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #1)

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com (Jackson, DeJuan)
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: RI and PARSER (was: Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #1)
Date: 1999-09-29 17:25:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What does PENDANT imply/mean in terms of RI? I could figure out all of the
> other syntax.

As far as I understood it:

CREATE TABLE t1 (a1 integer PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, b1 text);

CREATE TABLE t2 (a2 integer NOT NULL, b2 text,
CONSTRAINT check_a2
FOREIGN KEY (a2)
REFERENCES t1 (a1)
PENDANT
ON DELETE CASCADE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
INITIALLY DEFERRED);

This setup requires, that for each key in t1.a1 at least one
reference from t2.a2 MUST exist. So this is a cyclic
integrity check. I'm not sure if removing the last reference
automatically removes the PK row from t1 or if it raises an
error. Can someone clearify here?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #