Re: [SQL] Good Optimization

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: kudo(at)partitur(dot)se (Patrik Kudo)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Good Optimization
Date: 1999-07-08 10:24:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Patrik Kudo wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > This time the "a.x = b.x" is important!
>
> Ouch... didn't think that far. However, if an cache is implemented
> it might be worth the extra overhead to optimize special cases like
> the one I commented on. Since most systems use a fairly limited set
> of queries (I suppose...) most of the queries will be cached quite
> fast.

Exactly the fact that most system use a limited set of
queries made me think that a shared query->plan cache, that
in the best of all worlds isn't lost on backend termination,
is worth the efford. And it would lower the need of client
side prepared execution plans as discussed sometimes.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #