Re: [HACKERS] Views which lead to nested aggregates

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: mbeattie(at)sable(dot)ox(dot)ac(dot)uk (Malcolm Beattie)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Views which lead to nested aggregates
Date: 1999-06-22 10:22:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Malcolm Beattie wrote:

> gives the same message. I'm not familiar with postgres internals but
> it looks as though the internal handling of views is still having
> trouble with those two levels of aggregations despite the underlying
> queries being OK. As a data point, the view creation and queries work
> fine under Informix IDS 7.3 and Sybase. Is this problem with postgres
> something which is a fixable bug, a missing feature request that is
> planned to arrive soon (maybe it's in 6.5?) or a missing feature which
> isn't going to happen any time soon?

Up to now (v6.5) this kind of nested aggregates isn't
supported. Not directly over SQL, nor by views. To be sure
anything is fine, your views (and however you select from
them) should be expressable with a regular SELECT too. In
fact the rewrite system has to try to build such a query for
it - so if you can't how should the rewriter can?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #