Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: dms(at)wplus(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes
Date: 1999-06-17 22:18:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > 3. Next step is adding plpgsql into database template1 (or patching creatdb
> > script) to add plpgsql every time as I create new db
>
> That's a one-command thing now, so I'm not seeing why it's harder to issue
> the command than type a configure option ...

Initially I thought it would be nice to offer those
procedural languages that can be TRUSTED ones to regular
users by default. So I first added the appropriate commands
to initdb. Some complained and I moved them out again and
added the new commands (createlang and destroylang) instead.

And I agree - I was wrong. It's bad practice to install
things by default that some don't need. A database system has
some defined priorities:

1. Reliability

2. Reliability

3. Security

4. Reliability

5. Security

n. Capabilities, performance and other non-critical items.

Adding types/operators/procedural-languages by default to any
created database is easy. Add them to the template1 database.
If you forgot it during an upgrade or restore, be sure some
user will tell you soon.

But if you have choosen the conservative way of beeing a site
admin, noone will ever tell you if you forgot to DISABLE a
feature after a 50 hour restore marathon.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #