Re: [HACKERS] New TODO item

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New TODO item
Date: 1999-06-17 21:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> New item for TODO list:
>
> * SELECT aliname FROM pg_class aliname generates strange error
>

> test=> SELECT aliname FROM pg_class aliname;
> NOTICE: unknown node tag 704 in rangeTableEntry_used()
> NOTICE: Node is: { IDENT "aliname" }
> NOTICE: unknown node tag 704 in fireRIRonSubselect()
> NOTICE: Node is: { IDENT "aliname" }
> ERROR: copyObject: don't know how to copy 704

Without looking at anything I can tell that these NOTICE
messages got spit out of the rewriter (I placed them there
along with the additional NOTICE telling nodeToString()).

It looks to me that the targetlist contains a bare identifier
which the parser wasn't able to change into a Var node or
something else. That should never be possible. A valid
querytree cannot contain identifiers where the parser didn't
knew from which rangetable entry they should come from.

Look at the parser output (-d4) and you'll see the same
problems the rewriter just told.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #