Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: dms(at)wplus(dot)net (Dmitry Samersoff)
Cc: kar(at)webline(dot)dk, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Date: 1999-06-08 09:12:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> This message is in MIME format
> --_=XFMail.1.3.p0.FreeBSD:990608114224:212=_
>

> On 07-Jun-99 Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >> If there's (only one) Perl PROGRAMMER out in the world
> >> reading this, who does see a (however small) possibility to
> >> explain how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
> >> RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Easy.
> See attachment.

Dmitry,

it's well known that a Perl script can access a PostgreSQL
database. But that's not the thing we're looking for.

For building PL/Perl, the Perl INTERPRETER must be INSIDE the
backend. Only if it is part of the PostgreSQL backend, it can
have access to the SPI. It will not work to spawn off an
external interpreter which then contacts the database back
via Pg. Thus, there must be some way to link a shared object
against the Perl libraries and at the time the PostgreSQL
database backend loads our shared object to call functions in
the Perl library.

The attachment you've sent is simply a Perl script that does
some db access. Nice, but not the point. Please show us how
easy it is to do what we want.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #