Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL History(Parody)

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL History(Parody)
Date: 1999-06-06 12:27:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

:-)

> <center>
> <h1>
> The History of PostgreSQL</h1></center>
>
> <center>
> <h2>
> Part II(Parody)</h2></center>
> After PostgreSQL 6.5, we decided to change some things.&nbsp; First, we
> cut out the beta testing period.&nbsp; We decided to make every prime-numbered
> release a stable release.&nbsp; This worked fine for a while, but as the
> version numbers got larger, the number of prime numbers became rare.&nbsp;
> We put out more unstable releases to reach the prime stable release version
> numbers.&nbsp; We removed the regression tests.&nbsp; (Saved disk space).&nbsp;
> The documentation was too hard to maintain, so we removed that too.&nbsp;

Also, as Stonebreaker once said, productional rule systems
are conceptually simple. After changing our concepts some
more it was so easy that really a first time BASIC programmer
could have done it all (we simply simplyfied your concept by
removing productional rules at all - no concept no problems).

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #