Re: [SQL] question about money type

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: marciom(at)conectiva(dot)com(dot)br
Subject: Re: [SQL] question about money type
Date: 1999-05-12 15:39:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake Marcio Macedo
> > Hi all,
> >
> > when I do a SELECT in a money field, it returns the folowing :
> >
> > R$2.244,00
> >
> > what is correct , according with my LOCALE settings,
> > is there a way to format this result to
> >
> > 2.244,00 (without the "R$") ?
>
> Not really. There was once some discussion about removing the currency
> string altogether on output (I even sent in patches) but it was decided
> to keep it in because no one will be using the MONEY type eventually.
> Everyone is being urged to use the NUMERIC type.

I really wanted to add TO_CHAR() function for NUMERIC before
release. But there are more important items in the rewrite
system I have to fix first.

Since TO_CHAR() cannot have any side effects I could add it
until the last hour before Marc starts "closed shop".

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #