Re: [SQL] PL/pgsql questions..

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: tveith(at)heaven(dot)oeh(dot)univie(dot)ac(dot)at
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] PL/pgsql questions..
Date: 1999-04-26 07:31:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thomas Veith wrote:

> One thing which I think is really important is PL/pgsql.. I carefully read
> the bit of information which is available, but thats not very much..

Tnx

> I have 2 questions.. first, can you point me to some information about
> this topic which i maybe have missed?

Maybe you missed the docs in the programmers manual?

> second, take this procedure from an informix database:
>
> [...]
>
> so my question is, does PG/plsql support this, if so how, and if not, is
> it planned to be supported in the near future?

Functions in procedural languages (PL/Tcl, PL/pgSQL) inherit
the same restrictions C language functions have in
PostgreSQL. One of them I hate most is that they cannot
return set results. Thus "RETURN ... AND RESUME" is
currently not supported. It requires major changes to the
function manager and executor.

The time I expect it is not that near in future I would like
it.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #