Re: [HACKERS] Re: Developers Globe (FINAL)

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, vev(at)michvhf(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, vadim(at)krs(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Developers Globe (FINAL)
Date: 1999-03-17 00:06:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > http://www.postgresql.org/~wieck/index.html
> >
> Woh. I didn't know what ratracing was, but I know I like it. Certainly
> jumps out at you. Is it in a paper tray?

Do a reload. Just to show you what "HIGH QUALITY" rendering
means.

It's still the same scene - just the border of the box a
little higher, the glass better visible and sized to 600x300
(to better fit on the page). This time rendered with a
sampling rate of 5^2 per pixel (so per pixel 25 eye rays are
shot into the scene). Including all shadowing, transparency
and reflection a total of over 20 million rays have been
traced (for a picture with 180,000 pixels)!

Those pictures are CPU killers. A 333 MHz Celeron needs 20
minutes to finish that one.

Remember, it's a 100% virtual picture. Not one single detail
is from a scanned photo or the like.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #