Re: [HACKERS] Developers globe

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, vev(at)michvhf(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Developers globe
Date: 1999-03-10 17:45:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Looks great!!
> >
> > Hate to be the wet blanket...throw another one of those 'Nova dots' onto
> > Europe, and Europe will sink :( It sort of reminds me of those old movies
> > dealing with Nuclear WAr..."New Brunswick, Canada...totally wiped' out,
> > Maine, USA...like it never existed, England...WWI and WWII failed, where
> > PostgreSQL succeseds" *grin*
>
> OK, smaller stars, and fewer. Should I continue in this direction, or
> try something else?

Actually I'm hacking a little around. Up to now I've
extracted the coords of the world map out of xearth and
produced a 600x250 GIF as a flat map. Having only a few
colors it's about 6K small.

Now I'm looking for spec's on animated GIF's. If I finally
understand how they are created, I could build a little
Tcl/Tk application where you can enter location (long/lat or
lookup by city) and the text to popup and Tk will create an
animated GIF where the locations are small blinking dot's
plus the required image map etc.

Just give me another day for an example.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #