Re: [SQL] Staus of Primary/Foreign key?

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: stanb(at)awod(dot)com (Stan Brown)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Staus of Primary/Foreign key?
Date: 1999-03-02 20:53:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I have implemented referential integrity in older Postgres projects
> using functions. I am preparing to do a new project, aand was wondering
> what the status of Primary/Foreign key implementation was?
>
> I am starting with 6.4.2,

I'm planning to implement most of the constraints currently
missing (foreign key, cascaded deletes) over rules - or at
least making the rule system capable of supporting it.

But it will not be in v6.5. The reason for that is that
constraints need a special feature, the rule system currently
cannot support. It is required that rule actions can be
deferred until transaction commit time. At that time (or
when they should get run anyway), they need very special
visibility of heap tuples on a per range table base. One and
the same table might have to be scanned with different
snapshot's in one query.

That all will take a while.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #