Re: [HACKERS] trouble with rules

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] trouble with rules
Date: 1999-02-08 17:05:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > I've only noticed while browsing through the code why he did
> > comment out those things. He's comparing memoy addresses of
> > nodes, what doesn't work any more after copyObject(). If he's
> > not available right now, we must fix that part.
>
> Is there more to do than using equal() instead of a plain pointer
> compare?
>
> There might be --- for example the collapsing-UNION problem I mentioned
> yesterday is a case where using equal() allows an overly aggressive
> optimization. Where are these comparisons and what are they for?

rewriteHandler.c 1691 and 2908... and rewriteManip.c 175, 403
and 1068. Now that I've looked closer I see that it are
assignments. All of them have to do with sublinks and
lefttree-aggregate issues. Shouldn't be too hard to figure
out what's right and it will give us some additional queries
for the rule system checks.

So can someone please tell me how INTERSECT/EXCEPT works?

I'll deuglify the code while working on it then :-}. It's
really hard to read (must have been written in a 120 char
wide window or so).

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #