Re: Commercial support, was Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: terry(at)terrym(dot)com (Terry Mackintosh)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commercial support, was Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Date: 1999-02-08 14:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Terry Mackintosh wrote:

> Hi all
>
> > > That's the reason. One of the biggest drawbacks against
> > > Postgres is (for many companies at least), that you can't buy
> > > support.
>
> IMHO ...
>
> Well, yes one can, one may just need to look around a bit... and pay
> commercial support prices.
>
> Example:
> As for my self I feel confident that I could provide such support, having
> been using Postgres+ since Postgres 0.95? (3?4 years ago?). I charge
> $25/hour, but have been considering going to $30/hour. While I've yet to
> get a PostgreSQL specific job, I have had some other Linux based jobs.
>
> [...]

Nice idea.

But a word of caution seems appropriate.

Commercial support doesn't mean only that you can hire
someone who takes care about your actual problems with the
product. It also means that there is someone you can bill if
that product caused big damage to you (product warranty).

Commercial support doesn't mean only that you hire someone on
a T/M base (time and material). It also means that you can
sign a support contract with a regular payment and have
written down response- and maximum problem-to-fix times,
escalation levels etc.

For these issues (and there are more) you would need an
assurance in the background (or a big company). But this
requires that you have quality assurance management on top of
the development. And that you have aggreed procedures where
escalation levels from your support activate the core
developers in specified times to solve problems. And it
requires that you have more precise product specifications
telling what the product can and where it's limits are.
Otherwise you wouldn't be able to pay the assurance.

There are already distributions of Linux out where you can
buy commercial support with them. They stay behind the
bleeding edge of development and are offered by companies,
that have their own development team apart from the internet
community.

Looking at how we are organized (or better unorganized), all
this high level commercial support seems far away.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #