Re: AW: [HACKERS] Solution to the pg_user passwd problem !?? (c)

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at (Zeugswetter Andreas SARZ)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: [HACKERS] Solution to the pg_user passwd problem !?? (c)
Date: 1998-02-19 15:48:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas wrote:

> Okay :-(
>
> But: I think this is an error in the rewrite system. I think this query
> should get rewritten !
> Can we fix this ?
>
> > > Can all of you try to crack this ?
> >
> > Cracked!
> >
> > create table get_passwds (usename name, passwd text);
> > insert into get_passwds select usename, passwd from pg_user;
> > select * from get_passwds;
> > usename|passwd
> > -------+------
> > pgsql |
> > wieck |test
> > (2 rows)

Right - it's an error in the rewrite system. The retrieve
(SELECT) rule rewriting is only done if the command in the
query is a SELECT. But this time it's an INSERT and the
rewrite system only looks for rules on the result relation
(as far as I understood the coding). It doesn't process the
complete rangetable and no rewriting is done at all.

As a side effect it is also impossible to

INSERT INTO tab SELECT anything FROM view;

And this should really get fixed. I'll take a deep breath and
then a look at it. But that will take some time.

Until later, Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #