Re: Backup with Java

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup with Java
Date: 2006-11-30 15:54:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Patric Bechtel <bechtel(at)ipcon(dot)de> writes:

> Marc Herbert schrieb am 30.11.2006 12:03:
>> Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>> I'd strongly suggest you exec pg_dump from the command line using
>>> System.exec and connect to the remote database. This is certainly re-
>>> inventing a non-trivial wheel.
>>
>> We have implemented this, with a couple of additional checks
>>
>> We also interested by alternatives approaches.

> But I just checked the link above, and it's still native.

Yes, that's why I tried to say by quoting.

Sorry if you misunderstood it; I probably should have removed the
"reinventing" sentence.

By the way a (the?) major issue with programming against pg_dump is
that it may prompt for a password in an unpredictable way. There is no
--never-prompt-but-IMMEDIATLY-fail-instead option.