Re: GRANT USAGE ON DATABASE xxx TO public fails

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GRANT USAGE ON DATABASE xxx TO public fails
Date: 2013-02-12 11:52:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Birchall, Austen, 12.02.2013 12:36:
> 8.4.13 on Red Hat 6 64 bit
>
> I’m setting up a database to use with ESRI sde/arcgis following
>
> http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002p00000007000000
>
> This includes the step
>
> 1.Grant usage privileges to the public or to specific roles and groups so other users can access the database.
> 2.GRANT USAGE
> 3.ON DATABASE agency
> TO public;
>
> Which fails and seems to be incorrect.
>
> postgres=# GRANT USAGE ON DATABASE dmms TO public;
>
> ERROR: invalid privilege type USAGE for database
>
> postgres=#
>
> An initial look at docs strongly suggests that this is the case.
>
> Is there a different command I can run which will give the same outcome i.e. that public can access the database.

You probably want

grant connect on database agency to public;

But you also need to give public access to the tables. With 8.4 you will need to do that for each
table manually (grant select on foobar to public). With a more recent version you could grant
that to all tables in a schema with a single statement.

Thomas